The dilemma of increasing enrollments combined with budget cuts can be eased by technology per a recent white paper released by the Center for Digital Education entitled:
Rethinking Processes, Reducing Costs, and Maximizing Resources in Education.
The paper indicates that technology supporting new processes will assist university and school system administrators to focus on opportunities to eliminate inefficiencies, identify innovative cost savings, and reinvest those savings into core objectives.
Accomplishing an institution or system’s core objectives when supported by technology is discussed using the following five methods: strategic sourcing, streamlining, shared service strategies, outsourcing, and enterprise energy management. A list of institutions highlighted in the report include:
- New York City Dept. of Education,
- University of Texas-Austin
- University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
- South Carolina Dept. of Education
- Nippersink School Dist.2 in Illinois
- Detroit Public Schools, TAFE, Queensland
- University of California-Santa Barbara
- Beaverton Oregon School Dist.
Review the entire white paper.